These situations below are only two real-life examples where Secular Humanists have experienced discrimination in educational settings or work environments.
A person is dismissed from a job with the excuse that “she doesn’t fit in with the company culture.” The company is run by Christians. They have obviously checked her online profile and discovered that she is a Secular Humanist. As a member of SOFREE, she is able to talk to other Secular Humanists, cope with the stress, get recommendation letters and move on.
A university professor is denied tenure and dismissed because the university discovers he is a Secular Humanist. He successfully sues for wrongful dismissal and shares his experience with other Secular Humanists through SOFREE. Other SOFREE members gain from his experience.
Have you experienced discrimination in your workplace, or at school, because of your Secular Humanist way of life? Would you like to talk to someone about your situation to see how we can help you?
If you answered YES to either question, we can help!
Please email us at: Hotline@sofree.ca and include the following in your email:
1. Indicate the issue you are facing in the subject line.
2. Describe the issue in the body of your email.
3. Include copies of documents you want us to review.
4. Let us know what result/outcome you are hoping for.
1. Acknowledge receipt of your email within 24 hours.
2. Ask you for additional information if necessary.
3. Investigate the problem.
4. Suggest a solution or take action on your behalf.